The development of an image

I recently led a photography holiday in Whitby for HF Holidays.  I used various cameras for my demonstrations and tuition, but my first choice whilst out and about was my mobile phone.  The large screen made it easy to show the images, and the phone app’s software does some neat things.  The Leica-branded lenses aren’t too shabby either.

It was a windy day and the long grasses in the field adjoining Whitby Abbey were moving around a lot.  I was using the “Silky Water” light painting mode on the camera.  It takes multiple images and adds them together.

I rested the phone on a wall to steady it.  At what I thought was the end of the exposure I picked up the camera and rotated it 90 degrees to see the image.  To my surprise I realised that I hadn’t properly touched the “end exposure” button and it was continuing to expose.  I stopped the exposure and looked at the image. There were two exposures at right angles to each other.  I liked how it looked, and wondered about editing options.

I cropped the image to make the two Abbeys the main part of the composition, and then increased contrast and colour saturation to bring out more detail.  I thought it looked better, but the version of the Abbey I preferred was facing downwards.   I rotated the image 90 degrees and then flipped it horizontally so the image read from left to right.  Much better, but the area of clear blue sky in the top right-hand corner worried me a bit.

I decided that a further crop to remove the top right corner would give the best image.  It also gave only one Abbey, thus simplifying the composition.  The doubly-exposed grasses in the sky give an almost painterly effect.

An accident that gave an interesting effect.  Now I need to try and deliberately repeat what I did accidentally!  Might be tricky, but it should be fun.

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

*

*